Principal Design Engineer – PDE/03
Excellent Salary, Company Pension and Profit Share
Enigma People Solutions has been exclusively retained to recruit a Principal Design Engineer for i4pd an employee-owned product design and development consultancy. i4pd is an established brand with an excellent reputation for achieving a competitive edge for small and large businesses alike by bringing new or improved products to market. The company employs experienced and creative designers and engineers who operate out of i4pd’s studio on the south side of Edinburgh with flexible and hybrid working having long been adopted as the norm within the business. The team works collaboratively with clients to augment their internal capabilities, supporting them to add product functionality, reduce cost, increase visual appeal, enhance usability, and keep pace with the IoT revolution. i4PD’s clients include household names and those on their way to becoming leading consumer electronics and medical device brands.
This is a superb opportunity to join a forward thinking and successful SME business located in a bright and open studio based 20 minutes south of Edinburgh city centre in stunning rural surroundings with views of the Pentland hills. In return you can expect a competitive salary & company workplace pension and a company performance profit share (tax free up to a limit) and cycle to work scheme. You will experience a challenging and supportive culture within which to develop your career and i4pd recognises the value of maintaining a strong work/life balance so actively supports flexible and hybrid working arrangements alongside continual training and development. You will undertake a 37.5 hour a week of flexible hours Monday to Friday (around core hours of 10am to 3pm).
About the Role
We are seeking a hands-on Principal Design Engineer who will play an important role in the leadership team. You will be someone with outstanding people and technical skills, a problem solver who is able to inspire, direct, engage and develop mechanical design engineers on a variety of levels.
As a technical lead on projects, you will be responsible for driving creative mechanical solutions to challenging problems associated with a diverse range of clients’ products. You will bring enthusiasm and passion to the product development process and will have a direct positive impact on the commercial success of both i4pd and their clients. The successful candidate should be able to quickly embrace and implement the internal QMS for ISO9001 and ISO13485, ensuring its application whilst also contributing to continual improvement initiatives.
Your People Role:
- Support and mentoring of all of your team members.
- The continuous improvement of your team members ways of working.
- Identifying and resolving skill gaps with training and/or recruitment of new team members.
- General line management of your team members, including regular 1:1s and annual performance reviews.
Your Technical Role:
- The quality of technical output from your team members.
- Managing and driving implementation of technical excellence of multiple new product development projects.
- Conduct hands on engineering design tasks as and when required.
- Actively participating in resource planning sessions.
- Actively lead or participate in technical design reviews.
- Supporting the sales team by producing quotation estimates on behalf of your team.
- Be capable of presenting your teams skills to an external audience.
- Work with other Principals within the company to develop efficiencies and consistency across design/engineering disciplines.
- Be able to verify your own design and the designs of others.
Mechanical Engineering Degree.
- Extensive experience of designing electro- mechanical parts / assemblies suitable for manufacture by a number of fabrication processes.
o Candidates must be able to demonstrate their knowledge by way of examples.
- Although not essential having a design consultancy background will be particularly attractive.
- Strong working knowledge of manufacturing fabrication processes including plastic injection moulding, high pressure die casting, CNC machining, sheet metal fabrication / pressings and cosmetic part finishing.
- Experience as a Lead Mechanical Design Engineer with commercial accountability and technical responsibility.
- Good knowledge of design regulations and quality standards (preferably in the medical sector).
- Candidates with ‘hands on’ engineering and prototyping skills.
- Be knowledgeable and experienced in test methods and design validation/verification.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and draw conclusions based on available information.
- Create detailed 3D CAD models using SolidWorks to a level similar to the type of products illustrated on our company website.
- Prior training or experience in producing 2D mechanical engineering drawings.
To apply to this vacancy please send:
- Your CV.
- A covering letter briefly describing the contribution your skills and experience will bring to the team.
- Visual examples of previous work in PDF format or a link to an on-line portfolio.